View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Crom-o OP
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
22 Jul 11 Day -1 Home to Yunta Start Line

Seven months had past since Id committed and paid my deposit for the 2011 APC Rally back in January and it had been closer to 12 months since PodgeNT had put the idea of entering in my head, so the excitement about throwing a leg over and heading off was at boiling point. After a couple of photos and saying my goodbyes to the missus, I headed off for the start line at Yunta and to meet up with Ian and Kevin at the Pub. I had a nice route on the dirt sorted which Id pre-run a few months before and loaded it into the GPS so I could get even more used to following the pink line which would guide the way during the rally. Thanks to KevS69, the section from home to Burra was sorted after having pre-run it with him earlier in the year. Id also gone back over this route and onto Yunta via Faraway Hill and Lilydale during another ride. I left home at about 1300 and pulled up out the front of the Yunta Pub by about 1630 after an easy ride on well graded tracks. The only drama was that the GPS kept turning itself off. After grabbing a beer and finding the other guys, I quickly pulled off the fairing to check the GPS wiring. All looked good so I put it back together, wrapped a bit of tape around the power lead going into the GPS and got on with more important things, food, more beer and some bench racing.

As the pub was booked out Id planned to roll out the swag, so after a night cap of port I went in search of a good sleeping place. I ended up across the road from the pub under the tourist information shelter thinking, great no need to set up the fly and theres a dunny near by for my morning constitutional. About 5min after getting into the swag I hear a diesel Landcruiser Ute pull up and the driver head into the dunny. Then he ends up talking on his phone for the next hour to anyone whod listen to his woes much to my annoyance. Anyway, got my head down and spent the night dreaming of what was to come.
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote