View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
Crom-o OP
Red Centre Rider
Crom-o's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Plenty Hwy NE of Alice Springs NT
Oddometer: 319
27 Jul 11 – Day 5 100km past Charleville to Goondiwindi

Waking up after a peaceful nights sleeping to the sound of Ian’s farts and my snoring, to find ice covering my dry bag. After warming up, a quick feed we slowly made tracks, spreading ourselves out due to the dust hanging like fog and there being a roo or pig readying itself to commit suicide with the help of a KTM around every corner. Bollon was to be our morning smoko break and first chance to give the bikes a drink for the day, which was once again turning out to be another mild and sunny one. Taking the long way down and around to St George, we passed through Dirranbandi where I noticed a metallic slapping sound coming from below which wasn’t my brass balls hitting the tank. Stopping to investigate, I found the chain had stretched and was in danger of skipping teeth. Out with the tools, the chain tightened and we were on our way again. Fuelling up in St George, Ian went to sort out lunch while I paid for the fuel. For the second day in a row I was to get the Muppet attendant serve me, this time she couldn’t work out the change, so five minutes later and me having to take my boots off so I could count past ten, it was sorted. I wandered down the street to find Ian who’d found us a good feed, which made up for the servo Muppets. For most of the morning we’d been leap frogging each other as we made our way through gate after, gate, after gate and for the most we thought we could see the tracks of the guys who started in front of us in Marree. Asking at most stops, we found out that we were possibly only about an hour behind the guys in front of us. So with the aim of the day to get to the bike shop in Goondiwindi before knock off, we opened up the Katies and rolled into Goondiwindi at 1615. While trying to find the bike shop I saw another couple of bikes getting around which looked like they may have been on the Rally, but who knows as they didn’t even wave as I went by. Finally finding the bike shop after a few wrong turns, I sorted a new chain and grabbed my pre-ordered rear tyre and found a spot out the back of the workshop to get into changing the tyre and chain. Ian took the easy (Older and wiser) mans way out and got the very helpful bike shop staff to do his tyres while he cleaned his air filter. Mean while I sweated it out thinking I was proving something by doing it myself. While all this was going on a guy pulled up on his BMW F800GS looking like he’d done a few miles to be there. Turns out he was ‘Greg’ who had started in Maree, not before doing the Canning Stock Route from WA to get there, and had separated from the other Marree starters during the day due some bike dramas. Greg had some how ended up with the axel nut for Ian’s bike, so it was luck we bumped into each other. After some more sweating, swearing and working out I’d been given a road chain with a rivet link the bikes were ready to go and we were ready for a feed and much needed shower. Greg, who’d been doing some exploring around town earlier in the day, sorted us a motel for the night where we got to some bench racing over a few beers and tea.
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote