View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #8
Crom-o OP
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
28 Jul 11 – Day 6 Goondiwindi to Woodenbong

Noticing the Golden Arches next the motel the night before we all agreed we could go some McCrap for brekkie. With Greg not sure how his bike was going to go for the day and still working out if he was going to leg it to the nearest BM Trouble U dealer, he asked if we’d mind if he went out in front so if something went wrong we wouldn’t be far off to lend a hand. So with Greg pulling out a few minutes before us we headed off into the cold patchy fog and frost to Ashford for our morning coffee, which now we had a BMW with us we could get away with saying it was his idea. Cruising through mainly farm access roads there was plenty of kids waiting for the dreaded School Bus, so following one of the golden rules of riding there was plenty of waving as we scooted by. Not long after Ashford we passed Pindari Lake (Dam), North West of Seven River Nature Reserve. After following the bitty around the dam wall and stopping for a few photos, we hit the dirt again with me in tail end Charlie. I’d only done about 200m and was taking it pretty easy and the back end fell out from under me. After about a 10m slide down the pea gravel I picked myself up thinking WTF just happened? With the bike laying on it’s side in the middle of the road on a corner, I quickly picked it up and assessed the damage; a bit of bark off my right knee, bit of a scrape on the bash plate and one strap worn through on a pannier bag. After checking nothing was going to fall off, I was on my way again still wondering how I’d managed to low side it. Catching up with Ian and Greg in Tenterfield for lunch we decided to aim for Woodenbong for the night after hearing the following 92km leg onto Mallanganee could take up to 2hrs. After a fairly easy run into Woodenbong edging our way into the Great Divide, we sorted a room in the Pub and settled in. As we were about to head down to the bar for tea, Ian asked if I trusted the advice of an old man, I said “yeah” and he said “well we’re going to have T’Bones for dinner.” “Why T-Bones, I could go a Scotchy?” to which he replied “So we can through the bones at the bloody barking Dog!” Greg’s bike hadn’t missed a beat all day, much to his relief and helping him to make the decision to stay on the Rally course and aim for his original planned service stop in Canberra.
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote