View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
Crom-o OP
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
31 Jul 11 Day 9 Gloucester to Bathurst

After waving Greg off on his way to Canberra, Ian and I headed west out of Gloucester with the plan to pull up for a coffee in Moonan Flat. Heading through the top of Barrington Tops National Park we passed through a boom gate with signs warning of ice and snow. Not far up the track there was a good cover of frost which made me think, Yeah, Im not being a girl thinking it bloody freezing, it actually is! After a few close calls with the local wild life we pulled into the Moonan Flat Pub at about 0930 to find it didnt open until 1000. Deciding to push on the Scone we started pulling out to be suddenly surrounded by a couple dozen 4x4s who looked like they were headed out for a big day. Following the upper Hunter River and passing lots of horse stud farms we made it into Scone and sniffed out morning smoko. The rest of the day consisted of short sections, alternating from dirt to bitty. Just before getting into Mudgee for lunch I pulled up on a corner to wait for Ian. Id barely come to stop when a bike pulling along side, looking around expecting to see Ian, I was greeted by Dean on his 950SE, after a very quick chat he was off. We caught Dean again at the servo in Mudgee and had another quick chat where I found out hed started the rally in Wodonga and about 70km behind us this morning. He was on the charge and it wasnt long before hed left us still filling the bikes and sussing a good spot for lunch. Id later find out that Dean was training for Dakar and completed the rally on his own and finishing the quickest of anyone, not that it was a race, but an iron man effort on his part. Best of luck at Dakar Dean, the rest of us will be here cheering you on and dreaming. We had more of the same mixed dirt and bitty into Bathurst for the night. Arriving in town fairly early Ian and I decided to save time in the morning wed head out to the track and do our lap of the mountain. On the way out we bumped into Steve, whod started in Marree with Greg. We filled Steve in on what Gregs movements were and he let on that the guys hed been riding with had pushed on ahead after hed had clutch dramas earlier in the day. Being a bit worn out and not thinking we didnt ask were he was staying or what his plans were, so we lost track of him after parting ways. Sticking to the 60km/h speed limit around the mountain, I was amazed at how steep the assent and descent were, you dont get the real picture on the idiot box and to think of the speeds the V8 guys are doing is unbelievable. Noticing a winery in the middle of the track and thinking I needed to get something for my petrol head of a missus, I went looking for a bottle and finding a Riesling I was set and sure to be in the good books when I got home. After finding a bed and a feed, Greg called to let us know hed made it safe into Canberra and had actually enjoyed the run down the Hwy through Sydney not having ever done that sort of riding before.
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote