View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #13
Crom-o OP
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
2 Aug 11 Day 11 Canberra to Wodonga

My plan for today was to get to Wodonga to stay the night with the old dear (Mum) and get some washing done. Needing to get back on to the rally course where Id left it yesterday, I followed my mate on his fake Harley through Canberra on his way to work and then headed for Fyshwick to re-join the course. From Fyshwick I headed out through the Brindabella National Park and through to Tumut for a quick refuel and coffee. Following logging routes it was onto Jingellic for lunch at the pub, passing through Batlow and Tumbarumba along the way. Heading out of Batlow the course got onto some tight hilly 4x4 tracks, which were mainly slippery red clay covered with sharp rocks and leaf litter. Being on my own for the first time throughout the rally I took it easy thinking that there was no need to push it as I only had a short day and I couldnt be stuffed picking up a loaded bike on my own. Pulling up out the front of the Bridge Hotel in Jingellic, memories of Sunday ride on the back of the old mans CBX as a kid came to mind and the feeling of being back in my old stomping ground was great. After the best lunch of the trip, a chat with the lady publican who informed me that Greg had spent the night before there and a play with the Pubs resident dog, I was off again following the N.S.W. side of the Murray River. Riding along and noticing the river widening it totally skipped my mind that I was at the top end of the Hume Weir and wanting to stop to take a photo every 5min wasnt getting me anywhere fast. Pushing on the course eventually brought me out onto the Hume Hwy around Table Top and into Albury/Wodonga via the old Hwy. Getting into Wodonga at about 1500 I stopped into to say GDay to a mate of Dads, before meeting up with Mum for a night of being over fed and having my washing done. Gotta love ya Mum for knowing how to look after a weary rider. Having survived the day on my own, Ian called to let me know hed made it to Barham after spending the previous night in Tumut and that hed been in touch with Greg whod made it to Swan Hill. They were planning on meeting in Ouyen the next day so they could cross the sands of Murray Sunset National Park together, with the aim of making it to Renmark for the night. I went to bed thinking can I make Renmark tomorrow and catch up, so we can all ride into Yunta and across the finish line for Ian and I together?
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote