View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,102
Michigan's Upper Peninusla...from Ontario

Here's another ride report on theUP...thanks to Cannonshot.....It may not be too epic, but we had a good time and a few adventures....

Michigan's Upper Peninsula - August 2011

In August, five of us set out to explore the MI UP on our 650 thumpers. Gary (intotheabis), Dave (Dyno), Eric (ktmer), Gerry and myself used cannonshot's tracks as a guide and set out with no particular plan except to generally follow the tracks counter-clockwise, and camp when we found a good place. Since we were in civilization, we could buy food as we needed. No need to carry lots of stuff. Here is the path as recorded by my Zumo

The report is mostly built around Eric's pictures as he has most complete and best set. Others are interspersed as well.

Day 1

On Saturday, the four of us who lived in Ontario met up at the Timmies in Woodstock to get the trip started. Gerry and I got there first and ended up waiting a bit for Gary and Eric.....we would do this a lot. Those two like to take in the view a lot more than we other three. We were planning on meeting at Dave's place in Port Huron around noon, but given the late start and traffic jam at the border, we didn't get there until two. Gerry did some homeless-man-type mods to his seat (Gary, I need the picture of the cardboard) and we took off north just as the sky began to open up.
Dave plotted a pretty good route through the lower peninsula and I'm sure he got tired of being referred to as "the local" whenever we wanted to defer leadership......most of the ride went OK, until Gerry decided to get lippy with a local cop.....

The rain settled down and Gary and I decided to follow Dave through a bypass that he named "Death by Sand" ... It was appropriately named

We found a place in the state forest to legally stealth camp and had a dinner of roasted weenies and beans. Dave set up his tent in the snoring section....way back there.

Day 2

We headed out early towards the Mackinac Bridge. Dave picked out lots interesting roads to tackle.

We had some rain but made it into the UP and dried out over a big lunch before heading onto the semi-planned route. As it started to get late, we found a place to camp. Just as we stopped, I heard Gary say "Hey, what's that burning smell?" It turns out that his rear brake had seized and was smoking. We couldn't fix it, but were able to clear the rotor and wire his pedal up so he couldn't use his rear brake, but wouldn't do any further damage.

We made dinner from the provisions we carried with us. Gary looked to really enjoy it.............................

Day 3

Just to prove that we did stop to see the sites....I present the Whitefish point lighthouse......I think it was the last one.....

The fearsome 5 in a line-up

Here's Eric in is usual pose......stopped to take a picture

Shortly thereafter, we hit the longest stretch of deep sand we had to face.

Gary split from us to take a the short cut to Marquette to see if the Kawasaki dealer had brake pads. We met him there late in the afternoon and found he was successful. We had dinner at a local restaurant and headed of to nearby Camp Horse Shoe. This is a private campground, but nice, cheap and full of "interesting" characters. We pitched in to help fix Gary's brakes with the precision instruments that one normally uses on a KLR

While gathering firewood, I snagged some rusty barbed wire and we all thought that would be the worst injury of the trip.

ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote