View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,138
Day 4

We awoke to the screams of Boo's mother......but that's a story to be told offline......and headed out

We took some nice roads

Ran through many logging roads that were active

..and ended up making camp near the top of the Keweenaw Peninsula

Where my DR did packmule duty

Day 5

Today gets interesting. We rode down alternative paths on the Keweenaw Peninsula and found many of the type of rocky climbs and snowmobile trails that we did on the way up. Late in the afternoon, we took off down a power-line trail and bypassed a gate signed "road closed" . From there it got a lot rougher and a bit muddy, with some deep dried ruts. I was up front and out of sight of the rest of the group. After I crossed a big mud bog, the first real water crossing of the trip, I dismounted and got my camera out to capture the others splashing through. Gerry was behind me, and its unusual for him to be very far back , so it was strange that he hadn't shown up after a few minutes....Finally Gary showed up and yelled across the water that we had to go back. At first I protested because I really didn't want to cross that mess again, but gave in because it was obvious there was a problem.

Sure enough, Gerry had crashed in a mud puddle, fell wrong and had apparently (and actually it turned out) broke his collar bone. This is where it happened.

Dave has some mad first aid skills, and isolated the break about as good as a doctor would. Gerry was showing his usual personality.

We were about 2 miles from the main road, and since he couldn't ride, he had to hoof it out while we shuttled the 5 bikes out. We ended up stashing his bike in the woods near the street and he doubled up with Gary to ride to the nearest town & hospital...only 10 miles away. Don't they look look like happy newlyweds?

The rain started again and after Gerry was patched up, we took to a local hotel instead of camping. It is the Sunshine Motel in Ontonagon and is run by the friendliest people in the world. Gary and I got Gerry's bike back and they allowed us to store it in their shed until Gerry could come back and get it.

Day 6

The plan was to take Gerry back up to Houghton where he could catch the bus home....he can elaborate on that story. Dave and Eric waited with him to make sure that he could get a ticket while Gary and I sprinted down to Escanaba. My rear tire was wearing dangerously thin and Gary was very dissatisfied with the performance of his Heidinaus so three days earlier, we had called the powersport dealer in Escanaba to order some new Dunlop 606's for us by the time we got there. They weren't much of a shop so we changed them in the parking lot.

Dave and Eric caught up to us shortly after noon and we continued on. Even with a new front tire, Gary managed to find trouble.........

We rode some great trails and towards the end of the day, Eric noticed that were only a few miles from Camp Horseshoe....so we decided to stay again. Boo's Mom, Trish , was very excited to see us again......

We ate like kings

Day 7

We made it back into the LP and found an equestrian camp ground..we didn't mind. It was raining again.

Day 8

We rode most of the same roads heading back to Dave's house, it was really funny how we could practically ignore the sandy patches that made us clinch tight on the way up. A week of riding in it had really made a difference in our confidence.
The final four at the point of separation....Great ride guys....and well done. We only lost one.........not bad really :-)

ScottDill screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 09:53 PM
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote