View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 02:51 AM   #94
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Day 1- Cape Town to Franschoek

Sorry about the delay, but I am ready to roll. Sometimes, it is just impossible to set aside a couple of hours to put together a proper ride report. I have been busy working, wrestling with the munchkins, and teaching my lovely wife how to finally ride a dual sport. We just picked up a used Yamaha XT250 for her. The thing only had 202 miles on it! I am stoked to think that I will finally get to ride with her. Her enthusiasm is infectious, and I am glad that she is now realizing how amazing life on two wheels can be.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

My wife with Pork Chop, a fellow ADVRider who came over to congratulate my wife on her new purchase. Actually, I think he just wanted to grope my wife!! Just kidding Pork Chop. (This guy is huge and he would kick my ass!!)

Alright, back to the RR. Our first day was breathtaking to say the least...325 km of twisty roads along the beautiful South African coast. We all awoke early after a restless night of sleep in anticipation of the first days ride. After a quick breakfast and briefing, we assembled our gear and dominated the parking lot at the V and A Hotel.

We left Cape Town and headed south along the famous Chapman's Peak Drive and then on to the Cape of Good Hope. The views were stunning riding along the coast, and the temps were near perfect. After a few quick photos at the Cape, I was eager to get back on the bike and ride.

We met up with Charley and he invited five of us to ride with him along the shores of False Bay, before heading inland to the beautiful Cape Winelands.

This is where the day got interesting. I think Charley was trying to sort out the men from the boys on this first day of twisties. What started out as a nice scenic drive along the coast quickly turned into an adrenaline fueled game of cat and mouse. Charley hauled ass and we were all loving the fast pace. We were screaming around the corners and accelerating to nearly 100 mph in the straights, passing multiple cars in the twistties, and splitting lanes of traffic with mere inches of clearance. Charley pulled off numerous trademark wheelies at all sorts of speeds. By the end of the day, our knobby Mitas tires were well worn in, and our adrenaline levels exhausted.

That night, we stayed at Le Franschoek Hotel and Spa in the Cape Winelands.

The food was amazing, the wine plentiful, and the riders completely satisfied. It was great to get a riding day under my belt. After my first day of riding with Charley, I had determined that I was very comfortable with a faster pace than most. A group of about five guys, me included, emerged as the front runners. We would go on to push and challenge each other's riding abilities...sometimes to the point of sheer panic and terror. What an adventure!!

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 03:07 AM
globalpilot4 is offline   Reply With Quote