View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,244
Flight across was great.

Being able to stretch out & actually sleep was a big plus! Would I be willing to "pay" for Envoy class? Probably not.. ask Kevin, I'm frugal...
but when you do it on miles... damn sweet!

Customs & immigration at Zurich was a breeze, bags came pretty quick & we were off on the Swiss Rail to Aarau! yay!

Erwin from MotoMader came & grabbed us at the train and brought us to our bikes. Originally we had requested a pair of F 650 GS's (800 cc parallel twin BMW's) but they were unavailable.

Erwin says "not a problem" and he produced an F 800-R for Michelle and a R 1200-R for me. Problem? What problem? Life is sweet. I cannot say enough good things about this dealer. they are amazingly professional & courteous. I have rented from them in 2001, 2003 and 2004, and each time just confirms they are top notch!

the bikes:

aforementioned F 800-R

and the mighty R 1200-R

Almost ready?

I am...

So with the GPS dialed in for points south, we head off (slightly jet-lagged) through the lovely Swiss countryside.

The plan for day one:

I figure may as well get Michelle into the passes before she has her wits about her. That way the adrenalin will overcome the jet-lag. It's surprisingly warm as we stop near Umer See to take off jacket liners & snap some pics.

Gear adjusted, we are off again.

Mountains getting closer.

The top of Michelle's first pass, Susten Pass.

Time for a coffee...

and check out the local bike scene:

Next pass: Grimsel!

I think she really likes this... I may have created a monster. Well at least she doesn't pass cars & buses like an Italian rider.... yet.

No pictures on the Furka, as it was getting on in the day & we wanted to find a place to stay. Heading down in to Andermatt:

The town:

I'm knackered....

Then dinner came, it's hunting season, so we got the "deer, hunter style". Pretty damn tasty... but it's time for sleep.

So far, so good and about 230 km down. Not bad for half a days work.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote