View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Lake Chelan nearly to Conconully

Yet another oatmeal breakfast and a stop in Chelan for some coffee and we set out again with full tanks.

We were in no hurry at all and just sort of messed around on the trail riding up the big side banks of the road and heading down little side trails to see where they went, and eventually we got down the the Methow River where we stopped for a drink, and I tried to get the perfect river bend picture.

We headed toward Carlton but found that the gas station is now closed

So we headed up the highway to fuel up and retraced back to Benson Creek Road and back on to the last leg of our trip.

There was lots of this on the road

so I knew we needed to be wary of these guys.

We adjusted our speed accordingly until we got out onto the windy chip seal road and blasted away happily. No pictures of the last leg which was just as much fun as all the others. We eventually got to the highway crossing which we had decided to cut off to head to Winthrop. We dabbled along the ditches and power line roads instead of riding on the pavement for quite some time. Eventually we found our way to Winthrop, where we camped for the night.

We had a great Mexican meal in town and slept well. The next day would be the pavement ride back to Blaine through the Cascades. Every time I have riden the Cascade Highway it has rained, and this was no exception.

A quick fuel stop

And I actually made the 3:15 ferry home in time for dinner.

This trail was an absolute blast to ride. It is very easy riding with the most spectacular views which pictures can only hope to exhibit. I would recommend it to people of any level of experience that has a desire to get out in the back country on their bike. I have been to Washington state many times but never imagined that it had such a diverse character.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote