View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #52
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO View Post
Great pics...keep 'em coming...great to see local culture and friendly faces...

How is the moto doing??...Any fuel consumption figures?

With experience now,and reference your kit,is there anything you should have left at home or brought with you?

Thanks for any info and ride safe..

Thanks for the nice words!!!

The moto is just brilliant with no problems so far. Like I said before for us is the perfect bike for the budget but to be honest this can be done with anything so the idea is to do this and worry less about the "machine" (like the nigerians call it) Overall fuel consumption is around 5l/100km which gave as a range of more than 400-450km. That is way enough in west Africa, will see in central. Anyway with the 5l jerrycan that we carry with us should suffice in any place.
About the kit we also learned the hard way that we should have followed the rule pack as light as possible and we've sent home some of the gear shaving more than 7kg of stuff (the tripod but we've kept the head, some spares like brake pads, dna stage 3 filter - I love the extra power but you cannot use it in sandy places ... aka all places in africa so ... better without it and other small bits). We should have brought an extra cheap chinese PNA as a backup for the GPS as in Ouaga our Mio510 converted to a Garmin GPS just gave up and we had to wait to reach Lome to buy a new one. In the end we've made no compromise and bought a Garmin Zumo 220 (waterproof) which I hope will last for more than 3 years (like the last Mio) as it has a detachable battery.

Cheers,

Ionut
mrwwwhite is offline   Reply With Quote