View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Oddometer: 33
Simply Living on a KLR

Hola all!

So this thread is getting started a little late as we have already left on our ride but better late then never, right? We are currently in a motel in Oregon and are rather tired as we rode through the rain all day today but updates will come soon. As you can guess we are all riding KLR's. This trip has been in the planing stages for the last two and a half years. Our plan is to do what so many have done before and do a cross-continental america's trip. We will be taking eight months to ride from our hometown of Saskatoon (right smack in the middle of the prairies) in Canada to the tip of South America, with the ultimate destination of Ushuaia, Argentina. The trip, is a rather open book with plently of room to find random exciteing things to do. Here is a picture of the group from the Mcdonalds on the 3rd day as we were leaving Calgary, Alberta.

My name is Colin (Hishooter) and I am the one on the far left, a Bio major at the U of S and instead of finishing my degree I have decided to put it on the back burner for a little while and take on the trip before focusing on finishing school. Here is me and my bike:

It was in pieces that night as we were doing the last of the prep for the bikes (changing the fork oil and other fluids), pretty no? Well for a KLR... It is an 05 and I bought it from a guy in edmonton with 1200 km on it....there was quite a bit of farkle on the bike....a K and N air filter and a dynojet jetting kit on it, which was destroying my gas milage...it took a fair bit of tinkering to get it running the way I wanted it to for the trip. But I finally did, about four days before we left. Oh and I have never actuall been to new york.

Billy(deus216) is the kid next to me and he has just graduated from the U of S cell bio program and Braydon(bray8) is the really tall one on the far left. He is a graduate of the commerce program at the U of S. Since Billy and Braydon both were scheadualed to graduate at the end of last school year we planned to leave this summer. Billy bought a newer 08, Braydon has a 05 like me, and as with mine none of them are even close to stock anymore, as a trip like this kind of requires.

Billys Bike

Braydons Bike

The final member of your group is Patrick(blockp) and he is currently a student like me and he will maybe be majoring in engineering he is the one in the center right of the above picture.

Patrick and his bike. As you all can see we painted them all rather drab colors to try and make the KLR even less flashy. All of ours but Patricks are one color but his is a bastardised hybrid of multiple colors, very funtional I am sure. He is also missing a bunch of his side pannels, but in their place he has a cut up front faring and a antenna. All of these bike pics were taken in Patricks garage, it became the place where our bikes were torn apart and rebuilt into the machines they are today.

The plan from Saskatoon was to head toward Calgary for a couple days to visit some family and get some last minute supplies. We were then going to continue on from there to ride the mountains and visit some more people in Vancouver and then head south along the coast though to Cali, Las Vegas, Pheonix, and then to Mexico.

For the most part that brings us up to the departure date. More updates to come, it is 10:45pm so I might do another one before I go to sleep I don`t know yet. Will keep everyone updated.

Colin
Hishooter is offline   Reply With Quote