View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #35
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
In my limited seat carving experience, I've had pretty good success with an electric carving knife (yes, the kind that some people have in their kitchen) for the bigger cuts and an angle grinder with a flap wheel or the finer shaping operations. Get ready to make a mess. The 8 lb rebond foam is what most pro saddle makers use if they need to add material. It feels a little hard, but it softens up with use. Find the right spray adhesive for the job and you'll be good to go. Usually seat shops get the final shape "close enough" and then wrap the entire thing in a 1/2" sheet of softer foam to take up the small surface imperfections.
I think my biggest problem will be figuring out the upholstery at the back end to make it look right.
My upholstery skills are par with my nuclear engineering knowledge.
The seat presently living on the R60 looks "lumpy" so there's something bunched up under the cover. Maybe it has household sponges stuck under it ...or maybe something has taken up residence there?
The previous owner was quite proud of the recently (10 years ago) recovered seat. As he was pointing out the "new" cracked 10 year old Continental tires.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 10:45 AM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote