View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
What a great project. Getting to safe and reliable for use is a worthy goal. I see a two stage process. First stage is partial dissassebly for cleaning and inspection.

Safety means new tires and tubes.

A through cleaning of tank, petcocks and carbs is required for reliability. Do that once right and be done with that. Do pull the front cover. Go over all the wiring terminals under there as well as the headlight pod and under tank area. Clean and tight everywhere.

Just standard maintenance elsewhere. Valves, oil and filter, lube, splines, head bearing and swingarm tension, the basics. New battery then just test all lights and switches.

Flush and renew the brake fluid, then pull the handle as hard as you can and verify firm and no leaks. Rebuild master and calipers if required.

Then you can fire it up and test drive, tune the carbs.

Stage two is to put a few hundred miles on it and see if you got some leaking seals somewhere and monitoring for proper function of all systems.

Sure hope it wasn't stored with gas in the tank and carbs.
thank YOU!

this is exactly what I need. don't know if fuel was drained. after sitting that long, it's completely dry.
who knows, I could get lucky and find everything completely clean and ready for fuel. will know after tearing into carbs. if fuel bowl is full of gunk, then everything is getting flushed.

didn't catch the part about repacking bearings as this is my first BMW and are not familiar with scheduled maintenance yet.

brake master cylinder needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I'd do that even if was working perfect. calipers are not leaking, so leaving them alone.

notice the entire engine is painted black, not just cylinder base. this was pointed out to me by several Adv members already. No question this was done at the factory as engine has never been out. all the factory tie straps are still intact.

don't know but speculate that when BMW factory was setting up assembly line for USA spec bikes. first few R90S got a few things done to it that rest of this model run didn't get. Serial # 4950041 matches on engine, frame and ID plate.

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-01-2011 at 08:45 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote