View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Kestrel OP
Gear Driven Cams!!
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 181
Another update...

A few more goodies arrived over the past week. I've had a Pitbull rear stand for quite some time now, but it doesn't quite cut it for dirtbike style work. The most simplistic and inexpensive option is of course ye olde crate stand. Along with that, a clutch tool for XRs, a new clutch lever, some 10W fork fluid and a few oil filters.



And a few other items.. New drain plug / washer, spark plug, brake lever, timing hole seals, brake master cover screws, and a clutch cable. Also, the rather useful impact driver.



The brakes were far from perfect when I first purchased the bike. I had planned to do a brake fluid flush, only to find the problems with the caliper, as well as two stripped brake master cover screws. Hence, the need for the impact driver. I'd always been meaning to pick up one of these, and it had the two terribly stripped screws out in quite literally seconds. I expected to find the master full of disgusting looking brake fluid. Instead, it was nearly empty. Awesome.



Amazingly enough, even with the trashed stock caliper and completely worn and falling apart pads, the brakes were actually not too terrible. That said, the new fluid, pads, and caliper should make quite a difference in stopping power. I strongly considered throwing on a stainless brake line, but the budget sadly isn't allowing for that right now. I'm sure I'll chuck one on eventually.

New brake lever!



Clutch lever also replaced at that time... Sadly, it was about 2/3 the length of the brake lever. I also chucked the old worn clutch cable and installed the new unit. I'm happy to report that the clutch pull is significantly easier than it was before. Stripped off the grips, too. I've got a set of Pro-Grip Rally style grips to throw on... Still debating whether or not I want to install a used set of grip-warmers that I once had on another bike. We'll see.

At this point, I yanked the forks off of the bike and drained the fluid.

And off came her legs...






Real pretty stuff, eh? Extremely thin, too. That said, while the old oil was disgusting, it wasn't extremely vile. I'm guessing that somebody has been in these forks before and changed the fluid. It smelled more like semi-recent aftermarket fluid than typical original OE stuff. I filled the forks with ATF fluid, cycled them through a few times, and let them sit for a bit. ATF has some detergents that are actually pretty decent to use as a fork rinse. While those were sitting, I went to work on the battery support bar.



Lots of surface rust.. That particular side of the bar was frozen and was a pain in the ass to remove from the bike. Thankfully, with a bit of torch use, it came off and didn't strip. All of the rust was surface rust and it came right off with a nice combination of scotch-brite pads, a wire brush, and some mild dremel work with an abrasive attachment. Threw on a few layers of spray paint here and there while I was working on the other parts of the bike.



At this point, I went back to work on the forks and reassembled the front end. ATF was drained from the forks, and I filled them with 10W oil, 130mm from the top as per the suggestions for this bike on Racetech's website. After a little cleanup, I installed the replacement fork boots, reinstalled the forks, cleaned and installed the replacement brake caliper, connected the lines, and installed the wheel. The brake disc had a little bit of runout in it, but I was able to actually straighten that out to near perfect. I don't anticipate it'll give me any problems.

And here she is...



The damping on the forks was *terrible* before. Not nearly enough fluid, and it was fairly thin stuff. The new 10W was a marked improvement over the old junk. I'll probably throw some Racetech emulators in this thing sometime next year, but the fluid refresh should hold me over for the time being. As for the rest of the front end, the fender is in pretty darn good condition, but I figured I'd remove and clean it up while I was in that area. All that's really left to do is pour in some fluid, bleed the brakes, install those grips, and reinstall the cleaned and polished fender.

In regards to the head.. I actually found a VERY low hour XR250R head on ebay for not that much money. I figured that repairing my head would cost nearly the same as what I paid for a low hour head, plus I'd likely need new valves at that point as mine were showing some wear. It should arrive within a day or two. I'll be taking it apart and installing some new valve stem seals as I've already got them on hand and might as well put 'em to good use.

As for the cylinder, I'm hoping to drop it and the piston off this week to get them bored out & matched. Thankfully I've got next Monday and Tuesday off, and with a bit of luck, I should be able to have much of the bike reassembled after this next long weekend of mine.

Kestrel screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 07:59 PM
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote