View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #36
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Fall Colors at Brian Head on Vulcan

Hey Inmates -- spent the past weekend at Brian Head. At high elevation, fall colors are at their peak!!!

Hiking and ATV riding with family, then I cruised around a bit on the Vulcan 900. Rode it back down to St. George via Cedar Breaks (UT 148) and Cedar Canyon (UT 14) down to Cedar City, then back to St. George on I-15. Still have the Versys at Brian Head. Some good riding time up high (but not much). Will want to get this bike back to St. George also before snow. No need to have the V at Brian Head during winter.

On to the bike pics in a minute . . . first . . . the weather was blustery, on and off through the weekend. But, the fall colors are in full glory.

Here is a shot from our condo balcony after a passing squall -- hail included. You can just see the tower for the Navajo chairlift on the left horizon. Open hillside is part of Wildflower ski run.

Spent some tome in nearby Duck Creek. Just fyi for inmates, a nice (small) Yamaha shop and reliable gas. Duck Creek also has food and assorted lodging -- all quite "rustic" as my wife says.

Awesome fall colors Along with a family friend, this was the main event for the weekend.

Aspen Mirror Lake, near Duck Creek Village.

Got to have one shot of me and the man! Right on!

Extensive ATV trails in the Duck Creek Area. And a typical "easy" trail -- dirt road.

On to the biking. The 2009 Vulcan 900 LT. 100% stock. Very nicely equipped for asphalt cruising.

Yours truly, sporting the good guy white helmet. Face shield down to protect against cold blast.

Open road with fall colors, ascending up out of Brian Head (towards Cedar Breaks) in late afternoon light. Chairlift towers on left horizon. "Dot" on top of Brian Head Peak is Summit House, photo in Post #10, p. 1 of this thread.

Cedar Breaks from Point Supreme (visitor center) just before sunset.

Turning right, going down Cedar Canyon to Cedar City and St. George. Highly recommend the asphalt loop from Cedar City up UT 14 to Cedar Breaks National Monument, then through Brian Head and down Parowan Canyon. 5000+ ft of elevation gain in relatively short distance. Great curves. Awesome scenery. Very easy to extend this trip in many directions, and also to incorporate significant dirt. Good to be street legal because hard to piece together some of the best bits without touching asphalt.

Ride safe, inmates. Here is a final pic of the Vulcan at the top of Cedar Canyon.

Needless to say, the final leg down I-15 to St. George was in the dark. No problem. The Vulcan cruises 70-80 mph very comfortably. Kind of fun to be tucked in behind that big ol' windshield and feel the air gradually warm as elevation drops away.

Thanks for ridin' along and all the positive comments. Get out and go!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 11:33 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote