View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #73
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Engine is on the bench. Time to clean.

Side note: couldn’t get the bash plate mounts off so propped the engine on a couple of 1x1 dowels.

Time to take the cam shaft sensor off.

Starter.

Looking good. Splines are smooth with no stepping.

Valve cover and gaskets come off next.

Book says to pull this gasket also but I don’t have a new one so it stays.

Spark plug wrench.

Loosen the plugs. Not part of the book process but I figured easier for the next step.

Set cylinder 1 to TDC. At this point you're suppose to check the valve clearances but mine were done two weeks ago. I'm calling them good and moving on.

Lock crank.

Remove Cam Shaft Bearing Cap. “working diagonally opposite sequence, uniformly slacken all nuts”. So corner to corner interior side to side. A little at a time until the tension is off.

Next the cam chain tensioner. (BTW it's a 22mm bolt....why....it's the only one that size. Couldn't BMW make do with a 21mm so we would have two bolts (swing arm). I don't want to be all crazy and think that a 17 mm to match the front axel or 24 mm to match the rear axel and oil drain plug would be reasonable.)

Using an appropriate tool (fuel line in my case), lift the intake cam shaft and work the chain off. Then lift the exhaust cam chain and work the chain off. The straws were not book but seem like a good idea. Care is needed to not bang the cams shafts.

Secure the cam chain.

Remove and store the shims. (Don't forget to block the oil ports with rags.)

Remove guide rail. The wear limit is .8mm. It’s hard to measure but looks good. there’s a little scoring at the top.

Counter sprocket comes off next. Fortunately my touratech 17T has holes that we used to assist in breaking the bolt loose. Because crank locking pin is in place you do not want to put pressure on the transmission to take this bolt out. Transmission is in neutral here.

At this point it’s time to flip the engine to remove the oil pan. But the top has delicate studs exposed. So Plan A was to lay the engine on the side but my friend has an engine frame so I’m taking a pause. Using card board we created a jig to see if his engine frame will work.

In the mean time. The water pump gear is not spinning right. This is odd so a check shows that the gear is spinning on the shaft but not turning the pump. On the list to check later.

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 10:02 AM
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote