Time for another quick update.
So, the cylinder and head did indeed need to be repaired. The good news is that I took it to our local vintage BMW fanatic shop (Dave Clark's Forever Endeavor Cycles in Eureka, MO) and he said he could fix it. I dropped it off yesterday and got a call saying that he would probably have it back to me by the weekend. Fantastic! I went ahead and gave him both cylinders and heads. Might as well get a clean bill of health on both all at once!
So, I've suddenly mustered up more motivation than I've had the entire project thus far. I have the bike on it's way to being stripped to the frame. I should have it completely stripped by this weekend or early next week. Once it is, the frame, sub frame, and swing arm will go to the powder coater. Unless I first send the swing arm to San Jose BMW to be reinforced, which I'm considering. I'm also considering powder coating the fork lowers. I'm not sure why, but I just think they look better black and matching the frame.
The speedo should be sent of to Wirespokes soon for reconditioning, and then I'll start working on chroming what needs to be re-chromed, and collecting the body parts for paint.
Here's how she currently sits. More to follow soon.