View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #89
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 487
Crow Pass with the Rat Dog (Part 1)

The next day, the Rat and I decided to go for a hike since I had already ridden most all the roads in the near vicinity and I needed to stick close to pick up the sis that evening. The Rat is actually a more experienced hiker than myself, believe it or not. I have yet to bag a 14er, not something to be extremely proud of as a native Coloradoan, but I guess I was just too busy riding dirtbikes at 12,000 ft instead. The Rat on the other hand, has bagged two 14ers. The hawks were even circling him at one point and he just stared back, squinted his eyes, and showed them his under-bight.

Photobucket

We drove up to the end of the road and started hiking up that morning. It is a popular route that people backpack on 2-3 day hikes with huts in the middle at 24 miles total (one way) ending near Eagle River. The Rat and I were keeping a good pace and we passed quite a few backpackers and hikers on the way up. You could take either a few switchbacks and then a shelf trail or an alternate route by the creek and waterfall. We took the switchbacks and shelf, figuring that it would be the quickest way to the pass.

Part of the way up it came out to a little pond and a hut or 2. We stopped for a bite to eat, snacking on the beef jerky I brought along (for me, not the Rat mind you) and took a short rest by the lake, then headed out. Nothing caught my eye enough to take a picture, so we headed on. We had to zigzag back and forth across a tiny little stream and finally we made the pass, what I was shooting for.

After I snapped a quick picture of the sign, I looked around trying to figure out what to do next. Not too excited about continuing on, I spotted something off to the right. A little further, up the trail and across the bolder field, I saw a glowing blue glacier, just sitting there begging us to come visit. There was no trail, but heck, this is Alaska so no trails necessary so we set off to investigate.

The going was a bit tough, hopping from boulder to boulder. There were a couple little cliffs in the way that we had to navigate around, but soon we were there.

SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 09:19 AM
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote