View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
johnnuke
Submariner

Oddometer: 197
Thanks for your concern...

At least you asked. Lots of folks would rather just hit us.

As an avid triathlete and cyclist I say just move as far to the left of the lane as you can. If there is a decent shoulder, we cyclists will probably be using it anyway, so just sliding to your left a little bit is enough. If there is no shoulder, just do whatever you can to get enough separation to safely pass (in the lane, out of the lane, whatever). We are expecting to get passed so it doesn't usually surprise us.

As for the cyclists who ride the middle of the lane there is usually a reason (unless the guy is just a clueless prick). I will usually ride the center of the right turn lane approaching an intersection to prevent prevent someone from squeezing by me and then immediately turning right without enough room (the classic right hook). I figure the car will be slowing for the turn anyway, so me at 15-20 mph isn't too much of an inconvienience.

Thanks for watching out for us. Us 2 wheeled guys gotta stick together.

-Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell.-

-I already pay a health insurance tax. Every 6 months they charge me $130 for running shoes.-
johnnuke is offline   Reply With Quote