View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #56
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Enterprise Reservoir via dirt

Had the chance to go for a ride today with Ken, a guy I know from the local motorcycle store. We did about 125 miles, maybe half pavement, half dirt. Our destination was Enterprise Reservoir, about 40 miles northwest of St. George. Very scenic country. Great rock formations, lots of camping. About 5,000 ft elevation, cooler than St. George, but nothing like the high country of Brian Head.

Here's a pic of our bikes on a bluff above St. George (Green Valley), just as we were getting started in early afternoon. Red cliff of Ivins in background with Pine Valley Mountain on horizon.

And here's Ken. A great guy and a terrific rider. Ken is my main man at the MotoZoo store in St. George. Toystore paradise for inmates. They sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki . . . if you are in the area, stop by and give Ken the ADV salute. I'm sure he can find a way to help you spend some money. Plus, it seems as if he's actually owned most types of bikes in the store at one point or another, so his advice would probably be pretty good.

Ken's bike is a totally dialed in TW200. The bike just purrs along, and does all the things that T-dubs excel at -- climb, crawl, twist & turn . . good on curvy pavement, not good for making speed. Our road speed today was mostly 40-60 mph, slower on the dirt. The WRR and TW were well suited for the terrain. Our rides:

Ken's TW200. We both carried extra gas because we weren't sure of our route at the outset. There is a gas station in Enterprise (town), but if you just go to the reservoir, then take the "long way" home, gas could be an issue.

The big picture map might be useful:

I didn't mark up this map -- perhaps a useful reference for future rides. Here's a synopsis of our ride today for those following along:
-- Go from Green Valley to Santa Clara on dirt (some single track).
-- Leave dirt in Santa Clara by crossing new bridge and entering main road in center of town. Turn left, head out on pavement past Ivins, through the Shivwitz Indian Reservation.
-- At the intersection (Old 91, Utah Hill), bear right still on pavement towards Gunlock.
-- Pass by Gunlock Reservoir and through the town of Gunlock.
-- Proceed to sharp right hand turn, pavement ascends "the wall" -- steep incline three miles before Veyo (Highway 18).
-- Turn left onto dirt at this sharp right hand turn. Easy to find. On the map, the dirt road is called "Veyo Shoal Creek Rd." On the ground, the sign says "Goldstrike Road"
-- Follow this gravel/dirt road to Enterprise Reservoir.
-- After messing around at Enterprise Reservoir, we rode pavement into the town of Enterprise, had a late lunch (thanks, Ken), then retraced our route.

Lots of side trips and extended variations are possible, especially further west -- Cougar Pass, Motoqua, etc. That'll be another ride.

A short break, just north of of Gunlock Reservoir. Possible to ford Santa Clara River here and head west on dirt. We continued on pavement through Gunlock and further north. Ken checkin' in on the phone while we still had coverage.

The key turn-off onto dirt. Veyo Shoal Creek Rd on the map; Goldstrike Rd on the sign. Follow to Enterprise Reservoir. Some ATV trailer parking in this area.

We mostly had a great time ridin' along. Only a few pics. Here's one of some fall color. Elevation is too low 5,000-6,000 ft to get the blazing yellow aspen of 8,000-10,000 ft, but there are still some hints of red/orange. A bit too early.

Typical road scene in higher country just before Enterprise Reservoir. Lots of dramatic rock features. Worth the trip. Utah is all about rocks, eh?

The high point on this route. (same sign from p. 1 of this thread)

At the shoreline of Upper Enterprise Reservoir. There is great camping (official and unofficial, but allowed), and lots to explore on motos and/or ATVs. Ken gave this place two thumbs up -- -- I agree.

After an appropriate amount of exploring, we head to Enterprise (on pavement) for food. Not that many choices, but at least one good one. Doesn't look like much from the outside.

But they know burgers, fries, shakes, etc. Failure, no food pics. Next time. Consolation prize -- the logo. You get the idea of the place. I've been here a few times as part of moto rides. They never disappoint. Also have store in St. George.

After food, time to dump the extra gas into the tank. Ken's TW200 took just a gallon, and we had run about 70 miles at this point.

The fun was only half done. Now we do the ride in reverse. One last pic at the end of dirt where we rejoin pavement and head back through Gunlock.

Oh, and lots of plants in bloom, many with bees. If you see Ken at MotoZoo, ask him about the bees. Not a good story, but the ending wasn't bad.

St. George area Inmates and Lurkers: looks like Ken and I might do a similar ride next Wednesday (or at least some time in the future - I owe him lunch). If you're potentially interested in joining in, give me a heads up. You'll be able to keep up with me. Not sure if you'll be able to keep up with Ken or not . . .

Take care, ride safe!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 02:41 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote