View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #62
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
that many have forgotten: The reason you have nice paved roads to drive on is because of the bicyclists. Back in the day before roads were paved they were regular mudholes in the wet season and unbearably dusty in the dry. The cars of the time were forever getting stuck or eating dust. It was as bad or worse for the bicyclists. At the time the Penny Farthling was the hot ride and it is nothing fun to fall off of. Still the country was gripped in a bicycling craze. So the LAW (leauge of American Wheelman) lobbied hard for paved roads. And it came to pass that the roads were paved. The cars benefited along with everyone else.
Not sure where you live but here the reason cyclist have nice (a relative term for sure) paved roads to use is due to the huge surcharge in fuel tax motorist pay. That said I'm all for reducing pollution, congestion and for people getting out and exercising. All very positive stuff. As for as cyclist, I used to ride daily, not so much lately not sure why that is - anyway I always dig a little deeper to afford them extra courtesy. A little more exposed on the road then even motorcyclists.

CanadianX screwed with this post 10-14-2011 at 06:11 AM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote