View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #85
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
There are large portions of the country where sidewalks do not exist, so people walk along the road shoulder same as bicyclists do.

Pedestrians are relevant inasmuch as they share the following characteristics with bicycles:
-Slower and more vulnerable to collision injuries than motorized vehicles
-Exempt from registration and licensing
-De facto exempt from fuel taxes
-Cause little to no damage/wear to the road surface

In fact, I'd submit that a bicycle has more in common with a pedestrian than it does with a car; especially in areas where side walks are limited or nonexistent.

Despite that, I'm sure that if bikes could be successfully taxed they would be. I think practical issues are the primary reason that no widespread registration/plating process exists for bicycles. There's no VIN, no title, and no odometer on a bike, and they're generally low-value compared to motorized vehicles. I don't see any logical reason not to plate/tax bicycles, but I also don't see a practical way to implement it.

I'm sure if you could buy a new car for $300 at a department store with no paperwork whatsoever they would be much harder to tax, too.

It doesn't matter that you think they have more in common with pedestrians than motor vehicles..they are subject to the same rules....there for they should follow all the rules and have the same responsibilities. You don't have to tax the bike per say...permit the rider. Think of it as a riders license.....
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote