5/15/12 Program Update: The Group buy is currently on "Vacation", but will be reinstated sometime later this year. We ran it for a good 6 months this first time, and you should look for it to return sometime during the year. Best, Dave R.
As the author and creator of the Original Beemer Buddies/Original Grip Buddies, I wanted to weigh in and describe these grips for those who are not familiar with them. Thanks to all who have posted pics, although this is the only thread where I have actually witnessed my grips being tried out by a butterfly.I guess if you live long enough you'll get to see everything.
Back about 10 years ago I began making these grips for myself and my friends, and I found that, as a ridercoach, I could recommend them to riders because they helped eliminate the distractions of hand and wrist discomfort, thereby making a rider just a fraction safer. My most recent incarnation of my grips utilizes embossed rubber neoprene, in combination with super sticky-backed velcro, which I lock-stitch onto one of the grip edges with unbreakable nylon thread. The grips are attached to your stock grip with the adhesive backing, and the neoprene is stretched around the grip to meet and adhere to the hook portion, by pressing down the loop backing on the hook velcro strip. And yes, I do make all of my grips myself. I take great pride in the fact that they are Handmade in the USA
I think one of the posters mentioned that the velcro I use is heat stable to 186 degrees and the glue is waterproof. I selected this industrial grade hook, specifically to mate up with the industrial grade unbroken loop on the back of my IG sharkskin neoprene. the resulting properties of the finished product are as follows:
- Padded, comfortable grip
- Grip now "fills" your hand and seems to give most users/riders the feeling that they have better control of their motorcycle
- Grip is waterproof, and actually gets a little stickier when wet, resulting in better control under moist conditions
- Since the glue backing the velcro hook is heat stable to 186 degrees and is waterproof, the combination of heated grips and the sun beating down (or a serious downpour) does not de-stabilize the glue and assures that they won't "migrate" like some of my competition. For that matter, some of my competition have tried to copy my system and use hook and loop which has no adhesive backing. Result is a serious "migration" problem.
- An added plus is that I have selected my materials such that your heated stock or aftermarket grips will effectively penetrate my Original Beemer Buddies and be transmitted through the neoprene to your hand. Anyone who was at either the Fingerlakes BMW rally , or Colors in the Catskills this year can tell you that they witnessed this phenomenon at my display, and that for much of the time I had to "turn down" the heated grips with my grips covering them because "too much heat was transmitted through my Original Beemer Buddies.
- If you would like your bike to maintain its sleek and "BMW-esque" appearance, the "sharkskin" texture of my OBB's definitely does that. In addition, some of my early incarnations of my grips have been in service for over 5 years and have proved durable enough that they are still being used by friends of mine on their bikes.
- Installation of my grips can be done by you, and is a snap. I pack good directions with every set, and it usually takes the average lay-motorcyclist about 2-3 minutes to install them over their stock grips. Also, they can be re-positioned and/or moved to another motorcycle if so desired.
- They are a good value at $19.95 plus $5 shipping (CONUS, Including Hawaii and Alaska)
A member of this forum has asked me to do a Group Buy like the one we just did over at the K1600 forum, and since there is genuine interest in a group buy here on this forum, we are going to go ahead with it. Consequently, I am offering a 20% discount to forum members only, so instead of the delivered price being $24.95, I would release them to advrider group buy participants for a total of $19.95 delivered (CONUS), a savings of $5.
Our group buy on the K1600 forum was very well subscribed, and just ended about 2 weeks ago. The group buy here (now is extended till further notice)
, and we have plenty of participants to make it worth my while. I have decided to extend this group buy till further notice, so just simply input the discount code "advrider
" for purchases within the continental U.S.A (including Hawaii and Alaska), or the discount code "advriderworld
" for all offshore purchases, in order to get the discount.
Interest in my grips has been excellent here on ADVrider, which has resulted in my extending the group buy till further notice. My new (completely re-vamped), website has a lot of great information on it, and even includes a bunch of photos, streaming video of detailed installation instructions, and a secure shopping cart for interested buyers. (Attention:Website now complete
, click HERE
to see it). The site address for those who aren't familiar with my site is www.originalbeemerbuddies.com
Finally, any one wishing to order in person, or who has further questions: please email me : email@example.com
, or call me directly at 518-461-3003.
Original Beemer Buddies