Bumping this thread to enquire if anyone has come across a new GPS app for iPhone that they would recommend for using on the bike? Is there one that is able to have tracks/routes installed?
I have used the Metroview app and had the iPhone in the tankbag map sleeve, and that works fine, but it is a basic app that can't do routes.
I found this one - and TBAM mentioned in latest issue they are doing a review of it.
Leave your mark...
Wouldn't it be great to have a constant recording of your every movement so you can retrace your steps if you ever get lost.
That's exactly what the MUD MAP Tracklog feature does! It automatically records your movements and displays them as a trail on your map. It also gives you the option to save just a snippet, or the entire length of your journey.
Have you ever discovered a great camp site or spot during your adventures and struggled to find it the next time? That will never happen again...
With MUD MAP, you can use the Waypoints feature to mark any spot on your map, so that you can find it again and again, time after time.
You can even share your spots with your friends using the mCloud social features. What are you waiting for?
There is also a 4x4 GPS app they do.
OK - they also have a 4x4 GPS app @ $199
Some description from the itunes store
THE VMS APP IS BUNDLED WITH COMPREHENSIVE 4X4 MAPS.
SmartTOPO™ - TOPOGRAPHIC MAP OF AUSTRALIA
Gregory's™ - TOURING & ACTIVITY MAPS
ADD YOUR FAVOURITE MAPS
• Provides flexibility to add over 3,000 raster maps.
• Purchase online and download instantly.
• Raster maps are digitized versions of the original paper maps from Australia’s leading map makers such as GeoScience, Westprint, Vicmap and many more...
• Preview the entire range for free from www.mud-maps.com
. Purchase and download immediately for use with the app.
WAYPOINTS & TRACKLOGS
• The tracklog feature records your every move & overlays your movements on a map.
• Mark locations of interest with waypoints, like a great camp site.
mCLOUD™ - ACCESS YOUR TRIP DATA ON ANY MAC OR PC
• Effortlessly transfer Waypoints & Tracklogs from the app to your account.
• No cables, no memory cards, it's all wireless & it just works.
• Review & edit from any PC or Mac.
• Simple enough for anyone to use.
WHERE AM I™ - GETTING LOST IS A THING OF THE PAST
• Displays your position in real time on the map.
• Current Speed, Altitude, GPS Co-ordinate & accuracy.
EDIT: I received this email advise when I enquired about track/route options.
// Add your reply above here
From: Tech Support 11
Subject: Question on iPhone app
Thank you for your inquiry. The VMS 4x4 app allows you to use something called Track Log. This will allow you to use your PC or Mac to plan a custom track or alternatively, as your on the track itself, to save the track as your riding on it.
The app uses iTunes to sync your data onto the device and is free to download from Apple.
View this PRIVATE Discussion online: http://vms4x4.tenderapp.com/help/dis...44d0bc41297222