View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #572
NavyF4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
The Last G/S (US Model) .... Redux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyF4 View Post
Here's 3352, the last G/S made for the US.

This photo was taken last summer when I bought it. The P.O beat on it pretty good. It had taken a hit hard enough to break off the steering stop and crack the left cylinder, thence chewing a piston crown.

I thought this particular bike deserved a little love, so I've since taken it down for a major refresh, if short of a frame off.

Anton installed a new piston and jug, plus the circlip mod and 1-5 gear swap. I did the Omega kit and ND starter. Put an Ohlins on there, and the forks are off for a Racetech Gold Valve job. Subframe, pannier racks, rear rack, handlebars and various bits are at the powdercoaters now. Painted parts are at my ace custom shop, where all the OEM decals will be replicated in paint under clear coat. That'll include the original tank you see here plus a PD tank. Also sourced a solo seat/rack and an OEM windscreen. A full stainless exhaust system just arrived from Motobins.

It's going to be great to see this old gal emerge again, and I hope she can hold her own as a little bit of history, alongside the fine looking G/S's I've seen here.

To be continued...

And here she is now, with the previously noted goodies, plus a Stefanie Meyers bash plate and a TT top clamp installed. I have to say the paint work is gorgeous, with the custom graphics under clear coat, and having the headlight shell color pick up the red in the tank and side covers really make the front end pop. Yes, I kept the OEM tank, which from the sales literature I've seen may be unique to the two 87 G/S units (anyone know if the ST's or CS models shared this design?):

Riding this bike back-to-back with its 100PD big brother makes you appreciate how light and agile the G/S is, about the same comparison as between the 100PD and an oilhead GS.
Attached Images