View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #78
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
So a question for you all. I talked to our local mechanic, and he said the sidestand bracket/case cracking issue is only a problem if you mount your bike by standing on the pegs with the sidestand down. Someone else on this thread also mentioned this. so, can we eliminate the problem just by mounting the bike correctly?
Mounting the bike using the side stand, sitting on the bike with the side stand, it just shouldn’t be done irrespective of bike. Two much force on a small area, the side stand pivot plate is 8mm steel and I bent mine all luggage up and weakened by an off. If you’re not off roading and mounting your beast correctly and are gentle with the side stand I see no reason for any issues and a long and healthy partnership. But if you’re pivoting the bike on the stand, breaking beads, general life and falling off you need to change tactic to protect your engine case.

A good solution in my opinion is Hair’s mod or the original 950R’s, welded to the foot peg support area. Without welding all the other side stand modifications are compromises, including my own. For me, the ultimate scenario is damage limitation, I spent quite some time thinking about this, material, size and fixing points, also the location, having the side stand in the original location but not attached to the engine case still leaves it out of the way, with only the leg and foot exposed to an off/fall, unlike attaching it to the foot peg location. Also not too strong as to be eliminating all weak points and damaging the frame etc. My SE plate does as I intended it to do.

Name:  008-vert.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  81.0 KB

charlie264 screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 05:40 AM
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote