View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #96
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
To Leeds (Silver Reef) & Oak Grove on dirt

Hey inmates -- -- Happy Halloween!

We had a whole lot of this at our house last night. Lots of little princesses, too. Hope all went well for you.

Solo ride over the weekend. Always fun to be out on the bike. Good think time. Good to roll at one's own pace, in tune with the bike and the surroundings. Rode from St. George on dirt up to Silver Reef (by Leeds), the up to Oak Grove Campground on Pine Valley Mountain. Back to St. George on asphalt, basically on surface roads parallel to I-15. Great weather, great ride.

Here's a map for those following along. Very similar to post #79 on page 5, completing the Diamond Valley Loop on Pine Valley Mountain.

- Route starts on Red Hills Parkway in St. George, near MotoZoo -- marked Middleton on map.
- Gain elevation on dirt on #033 past the Black Gulch.
- Follow #031 across the lower flank of Pine Valley Mountain. Bulk of ride.
- Turn left and follow #032 uphill to Oak Grove Campground.
- Return to pavement in Silver Reef and Leeds.
- Follow paved surface streets just south of I-15 back to St. George.
- Total mileage: 50-60.

The starting point, just east of MotoZoo.

Our friend Smokey . . .

Quickly enter Red Cliffs . .

A few signs . . .

Umm, looks like bullet holes . . . welcome to Utardia . . . my one buddy always rides with a gun . . .

A little test for the mighty TW . . . she passed!

Out onto gravel, eventually dirt . . .

Looking back downhill, back towards St. George.

Several trailheads. This is a good hike, along the edge of red rocks.

Another trail. Used by hikers, mountain bikers, and horses.

Looking back along part of the edge of the Black gulch.

Short cut-off road over the Diamond Valley. Taken many times, but not today. Often one big mud puddle at end, just before pavement in Diamond Valley. Road exits in strange neighborhood in Diamond Valley, not easy to find from that end. This direction is best the first time, then it's easy.

I didn't continue up #033. This climbs up over the Blake-Gubler pass (post 79). Just offering up the ADV salute. I continued on #031, holding roughly steady on elevation, traversing the lower flank of Pine Valley Mountain.

One of the drainages . . . dry . . .

The TW200 just over a small pass on #031 heading east toward Silver Reef. Pine Valley Mountain in background.

Crossed water twice. Very, very easy this time of year. Minimal flow and firm ground underneath. Some good dispersed camping available. Interesting rock formations.

Taking a short break at a gorge, almost a slot canyon. Some good rappel spots. Outdoor groups use this as a practice area before tackling Zion.

TW200 at rest.

Desert plants and view up to Pine Valley Mountain.

Utardia petroglyphs . . .

One private in-holding . . . and the remnants of some fall color . . .

Looking back west on #031, the road I just drove on. The are a few small passes, just enough to add interest.

Cliffs of Zion National Park become more visible as you get closer to Silver Reef.

Mirror on the left . . . mirror on the right . . .

Dirt intersection, just above Silver Reef. I came from St. George. The ahead is 6 miles up to the Oak Grove Campground, fairly high on Pine Valley Mountain.

The road from St. George . . . and the road from Silver Reef to Oak Grove.

Crossing Leeds Creek (on a bridge).

A few bits of fall color on the road up to Oak Grove.

Campground closed -- not sure if this is for winter, or due to hunting season. Won't be long before lots of snow here, elevation almost 7,000 ft.

Namesake trees, on the descent. Just a bit of color left.

Late afternoon sun on red rock, just before entering Silver Reef.

Leaving Dixie National Forest . . . entering Leeds / Silver Reef. Return to pavement.

In Silver Reef. Lots of history in this small town.

A sample. I'll get a few more pics on a future ride. Easy to visit if you're in the area.

Found a bit of fall color and nice light near Harrisburg as I headed back to St. George.

Planning to ride from St. George to Springdale (by Zion) on road bikes with a buddy on Thursday afternoon. ADVers welcome to join. Give me a heads up if interested.

Ride safe, inmates!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote