View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #58
ontic OP

Oddometer: 1,039
Sibbo mate,
my tig welding is currently terrible! As a tig welder, I make an average brazer!
I didn't make those pannier frames, I've just narrowed the left one a little. Cut the tab off, shorten the tube and weld the tab back on. It sounded simple until the potmetal pannier frame tube just kept curling back and blowing through- I ended up having to drill through the tab, insert a steel dowel, weld it in, slide the tube over the dowel, weld it all up and call it good. It is good now, and it is strong, but it aint no 'stack of dimes'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
For the brake caliper mount couldn't you weld a tab to the inner mount on the same plane?
With my AC tig theoretically I could do that, but I have no idea how that might affect the temper of this cast alloy caliper bracket? Honestly, after seeing this system of bracket rellocation I am not too worried about my solution- I think it should work just fine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Can’t believe I only just found this! You’re doing the old girl proud, and I loved your mini ride report with the rum and fishing.

PM’d you with a couple of questions.
Thanks mate, PM replied, hopefully there will be a lot more progress on this thread soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungo57 View Post
HI, I have been following your progress for a while now.In the past I have used hydralic seamless tube for various racks/frame rails etc.Comes in assorted diameters,bends and welds easily,strong, and is cheap as chips.All good things.I buy from a local hydralic shop.Would be obliged if you could PM me Paul Rooneys contact details.Ta
PM replied, thanks for the Hydraulic tube tip- I'll check it out.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote