View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #61
ontic OP

Oddometer: 1,045
I've been on the lookout for some old bikes, even just to cut up and practice welding, but as soon as you start looking you can't find them.

Back from the garage,
I didn't get the swing arm off- realised I need to grind down a 27mm socket and I don't want to ruin my good Bahco set. Going to have to find a sacrificial socket for the that job.
However, when I took the rear wheel off and shook the swing arm side to side (as per clymer instructions) I could no longer detect any movement- maybe all this wobble is actually all in the final drive...
going to have to google about rebuilding that, not something I am looking forward to.

a few more photos (excuse the mess, the incredibly bright work light and the mobile phone photos)

what was dented is now not, all primed and silky smooth and fair, still don't know what colour it will end up.

had a couple of goes of mocking up the left side subframe reinforcement, this is the second attempt with only one quite sever bend, which looked a lot better than one with more bends

and another angle on the right hand side one

both left and right braces are going to have tabs welded on where they cross the pannier frame, which will also have tabs welded on so they can bolt together and brace each other.

Although it was bothering me at first, I am sort of getting into the whole asymmetric thing, there is not much at all symetrical on this bike, so why should my mods to the subframe be?

and with the rear wheel off, here is a shot from underneath,
the whole exhaust system is stainless, except for that small section after the Y piece up untill the muffler which is just mild steel and has been painted in header black.

cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote