View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 845
October 30, 2011

Sorry, No photo's for this one, I more or less did the same trip anyway, but ended up stuck on the north end of Malahat due to another accident before the south Shawnigan Turnoff. I tried to go around through Shawnigan, but to no avail. It was dark now.

I spoke with a traffic director who said the road would be closed for another 4 or so hours, so I headed back a few clicks and up a dirt trail, and had a fire to keep warm. At least it wasn't raining! It was eerily silent without the sound of traffic. There was however the sound of shotguns......I listened to the radio on my mini ipod to see what was happening, and got going 3 hours later when traffic got moving in single lanes.

At about 10PM, I saw a flat deck pass by, with a written off PT cruiser on the back, and to my shock, a motorcycle Naturally, my heart sank seeing this. Did someone cut him off? The accident happened at about 3:45, and it was dry conditions. The next day, I learned that the motorcyclist was killed at the scene, and the driver of the PT Cruiser apparently had a medical emergency of some kind, causing it to cross the center line. He did not have a chance. That was the 3rd motorcycle fatality on this stretch of road this year!!
There is a rally at the BC Legislature next Saturday for road safety, and a calling for concrete barriers to be installed for the entire length of the Malahat. With an average of 55 accidents on this road per year, it is the only sensible thing to do. Be careful out there, people!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 06:56 PM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote