View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #113
hdgypsyman
Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Upgrade

This spring I saw an add on Craig's list for a KLR650/Sputnik rig in Watertown, South Dakota for $3500.00 at a dealership called "The Motoshop". I contacted them to see if they would consider trading in my Honda rig. We were able to work out a deal and I came home with this:

It has a DMC subframe and is just a blast to drive! I've put about 3000 miles on it over the summer and I average 41-42 mpg with it. It will cruise 60-65 mph with a 14 tooth front sprocket as long as I am not bucking a head wind.
I kind of wanted something that would run at higher highway speeds. I'm not getting rid of the KLR rig, but I did buy this for $2500.00:

The Guzzi is a 1976 Convert automatic and the side car is a Dnepr of unknown year. I'm not real happy with the Guzzi tug. It blows oil out of the breather, which I guess is common, but it's just not the right rig for the job. So I decided to trade my 2009 BMW XCountry that I had about $5000.00 invested in:

plus about $4500.00 for this 2005 BMW R1200GS:

So now I have separated the DNepr sidecar:

And the fun begins. I have contacted Jay at DMC and it looks like $1600-$2000.00 to get the sidecar rigged to the GS. I have to replace the ball/ socket mounts on the sidecar:

This is part of the estimated cost to mount it up to the GS. I still have to add the cost of rejuvinating and painting the sidecar. So final cost on this one could be $14000+