Its taken three attempts to post this message.
"Browns Gap and the turnpike were used briefly during the Civil War. On May 2, 1862, at the beginning of his Valley Campaign, Stonewall Jackson marched his entire army through Browns Gap. From June 9 to June 12, after the Battle of Port Republic at the end of the Valley Campaign, Jackson's army camped in and near Browns Gap.
On September 25, 1864, General Jubal Early and his army, after their defeat at Winchester, fortified themselves here and fought off Sheridan's attacks for two days while awaiting reinforcements.
The turnpike is now a park fire road. On the west it's Madison Run fire road; it descends five miles to the park boundary, where it becomes SR 663. The lower end of the Madison Run hollow is worth exploring (experienced hikers only). On the east, the Browns Gap fire road goes a little more than three miles to the park boundary, where it becomes SR 629."
This together with the earlier posts should answer any questions.