View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #76
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Great Thread! But then I was/am afflicted with the BW sickness too!

Mr. BW, Are you using studded tires? I would imagine you have to after viewing some of these clips. If not wow!

I have two almost mint condition BW's that I picked up back when they were still in style. (Like that was ever true!) I bet neither even has much over 500 miles on them. (They both still have the STOCK tires with 80%, or more tread!)

I liked them real well so about the time they were getting scarce I found a dealer that had a 350 up in Colorado that had about 5 miles on it and a bad case of green carb from sitting in a showroom.

I picked it up and then found an '87, 200 for my gal so she could ride as well. That 200 has the sweetest motor of anybike I think I have EVER owned, just purrs!

Long story short, she was not afflicted with the dirt scoot bug so hers sat and since she did not ride, mine pretty much did the same, as I seemed to ride my other dirt scoots since non of my buds had fat tired machines.

I have followed your advice of not selling either, but then do not ride them at all.

I am an avid dirt rider and did take the 350 out trail clearing in the Spring a couple times but it is just not suited for the type of single track I like. The tires are about twice as wide as our typical trails! It took me several rides to understand why EVERYONE wanted to ride behind me! To watch the show!

I did get them out several times in snow and they really shine there but down South here in NM we do not get all that much of the white stuff and when we do it is usually gone PDQ.

We used to have some dunes near that we could ride (long gone and fenced off now) and that was the cat's meow! After a rain if you did not lean them in till the bars were digging in you were not turning them hard enough! In fact THAT was usually what put em on their side!

I think riding one is still a blast but on knarly single track they remind me of trying to ride two basketballs connected by a slinky!

The real and only problem I have with them is the drum brakes. MAN! At the end of the day my right hand was shot from to much HARD squeezing! Sure did like the video of the 450 Honda with it's disc's though! SWEET!

Anyway I am starting to seriously consider breaking them out of storage and off loading them. I will most probably be sorry but just have to many other scooters I NEED to ride!

If I had a place on a beach (would that be the best beach/bar bike ever or what?) or lived closer to some big dunes I would probably never even dream of off-loading them, but 25 years of little to no use is to much for even me to handle!

Keep up the great videos though as I sure like watcjhing them!
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote