Thread: KLR Sidecar?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
hdgypsyman
Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Handle's great!

My KLR has a Dauntless subframe and it handles great! This spring in Minnesota the frost boils were really bad on the gravel roads. My rig took them in stride. The sidecar is light enough that I could just drive the bike on the better track and let the sidecar "float" over the rougher stuff. It was a learning curve when I first got the rig, though. My arms and shoulders would get tired steering the rig down the pavement. After I put on a cheap throttle lock, I had an "AHA" moment. By locking the throttle and taking my right hand off of the handlebars, I found that the rig actually steered down the road with just a light grip on the LH grip. My overbearing right side was actually pushing the bars one way, and my left side had to push back to keep the thing going straight. Now I have learned that a light grip on both sides will keep the rig tracking straight with very low effort.
With a 14 tooth front sprocket, I can cruise 60-65mph and I get 41 to 42 miles to the gallon consistently. Strong headwinds kill the mileage and the bike works hard to run more that 60 mph. Still, it is one of my favorite "go to" bikes for a ride.

hdgypsyman screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 10:23 AM
hdgypsyman is offline   Reply With Quote