View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #104
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Well, that was a long hiatus. I blame the girl.

I just had no time to write. Ain't love grand? During my extended stay in San Miguel de Allende, I had two girlfriends, the first of whom was kind enough to introduce me to the second, and the rest is history.

San Miguel de Allende at daybreak the day of my departure.

Dianna has a charity she runs that takes disadvantaged kids up in balloons, hoping to inspire them to dream bigger dreams, called www.theozproject.org

She took me out to a friends rancho for a Mexican rodeo, ( charriada). Chuck is an awesome guy and one of the few registered gringo Charros in the Mexican "rodeo" scene.

Alfonso is a gentleman and another team member of our home team.

Parade of the Locos in San Miguel. These guys and gals danced for hours on a hot day in costume.

I rode back to the US through Zacatecas, (one of my favorite towns in Mexico), and Hidalgo del Parral.

Then along the Rio Grande from Presidio to Alpine texas.

Where I spent the night with a friend. thanks Jesse.

I ended up returning to the US just as my visa was about to expire, and met Dianna in New Mexico for a 10 day ride through the Rocky Mountains, which then morphed into 35 days of riding 2-up on a Versys for about 5300 miles. I figure that's got to be at or near some kind of record for this bike.

We met advrider mundobravo and his lovely mujer in Santa Fe, and rode to Pagosa Springs, CO, and then on to Durango through some pretty big thunderstorms.

Mundo & Dianna`on Brazos Pass , NM

After Mundo & Gemma returned to Santa Fe, Dianna realized she had left her debit card at the C & W bar we'd been at the previous night. No problem. We called, but they had no answering machine. After riding by the bar, we saw that they don't open to 4 PM. When we returned, we saw that they are actually closed Sunday thru Wed. Sh#t! The 10 day trip was all ready being altered severely. We ended up abandoning the debit card, and striking out on our own.

We saw a balloon rally in Steamboat Springs.

Met up with another Versys rider, Hipshot, at our motel in Hot Sulphur Springs, and shared an evening drinking cerveza, swapping tales, and travel tips.

It's not easy riding two up for so long, but after a stressful moment or two, we worked out the glitches, and had a great ride. Unfortunately, I hadn't charged the camera before leaving, figuring I'd be Ok for 10 days or so. True to my estimate, the battery died after about 8 days, so no pics from the following ride that took us through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, and back thru Colorado to New Mexico.

I'm now back in Mexico with the cute girl, and settling into my other life where I write for a living. Anyone coming through San Miguel de Allende is welcome to PM me for info on the town, where to eat, stay, share a cerveza, etc. For those of you who followed along on this rambling report, thanks for hanging in there, and buen viaje. Cheers! - Miguelito
Nice ride report. I enjoyed following you along on your journey. Interesting that you chose San Miguel after all the travelling you did. Was there any particular reason you chose this town or did it just happen that way? Having read a little bit about SMA I am interested in your perspective on the city. Great Job on the report!!

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote