Thread: 1986 r80g/s
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #67
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
Looks like the PO solved the indicator mount problem by flipping the brackets over and moving them to the other side - if you use the SJBMW non G/S item that is all that is required.

I dont think the side panels, clock and rev counter were always stock fitment, and they are NLA and expensive. - a rev counter just sold for $305- on ebay.

I like Avon Distanzas, as good as anything else on the black top and OK on gravel tracks, but I dont do mud or sand with them.

My 86 G/S PD doesnt have the circlip, and as a word of advice dont ever be tempted to fit anything other that loose C3 bearings in the rebuild - the guy who rebuilt the box on my G/S used stock bearings and some got so hot they were turning on the shafts-----.

I have used a tubular lower brace on my well worn G/S it made a noticable improvement, but you could see the forks twist before I fitted it.

The 3 bolt rear wheels are hard to find, and for some reason I havent found one that doesnt have the drum worn almost to the limit, so getting a spare was a good deal.

Dont fret too much over the compression - it gives you a good excuse to fit a pair of 1000cc barrels anyway.