View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #46
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Enjoying your report Troy! Great pic from Todos Santos horse racing! Recalls fond memories from my visit years ago.

Lightening the load is tough. Nice work! Have you ruled out camping completely now ... or just the tent? Are you still carrying a sleeping bag or Bivi sack? Cooking gear?

I never camped in Cent. Am or S. America except in Argentina around the Perito Moreno glacier (we borrowed gear). Only Chile and parts of Argentina seems suitable for camping back then.

I'm curious how you mailed gear home. Guatemalan Post office ? DHL, FedEx or UPS? Do you recall the cost to get it to N. America? 8 kgs. is huge. I'll bet you can feel the difference now. Are you carrying tires? I've heard Guat. City is a good source for tires. I lived in La Libertad (Surfing) for a few months. Try the Cazuela de Mariscos there.

Suerte y Salud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfromtexas View Post
I have decided that it was about time to lighten my load. I've been on the road for about two months and have just about figured out what I need and what is a convenience. There's probably still room for some trimming, but this is what I'm losing.

Some books, map of Mexico, iPad, camera light, frisbee, tent, backup harddrives, souvenir textiles, fishing gear, some kitchen gear, extra hat, extra long sleeve shirt, knee brace and light hiking shoes. In total it was about 8 kilos or 18 lbs. And it is weight that I was carrying up high on my bike... not good.

For the full story visit this link on Lightening the Load
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote