View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #47
troyfromtexas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Enjoying your report Troy! Great pic from Todos Santos horse racing! Recalls fond memories from my visit years ago.

Lightening the load is tough. Nice work! Have you ruled out camping completely now ... or just the tent? Are you still carrying a sleeping bag or Bivi sack? Cooking gear?

I never camped in Cent. Am or S. America except in Argentina around the Perito Moreno glacier (we borrowed gear). Only Chile and parts of Argentina seems suitable for camping back then.

I'm curious how you mailed gear home. Guatemalan Post office ? DHL, FedEx or UPS? Do you recall the cost to get it to N. America? 8 kgs. is huge. I'll bet you can feel the difference now. Are you carrying tires? I've heard Guat. City is a good source for tires. I lived in La Libertad (Surfing) for a few months. Try the Cazuela de Mariscos there.

Suerte y Salud!
I still have some camping gear - bag, pad, tent footprint. I can rough camp. I may try to find some tyvek and make a compact bivy. I still have my camp stove and pot so I can cook.I sent my gear back in Antigua via DHL. It cost $250. I could have sent it cheaper, but I wanted to make sure my ipad and fishing gear got back safely. In hindsight I probably could have sold my tent and ipad at a decent price, but sometimes time is my most valuable item. I'm carrying tubes, but not tires. I plan to buy some new ones in costa rica or panama. It did seem that there were tires available in both Mexico and Guatemala. Thanks for the tip on the food. I'll have to look for it. So far, all the food has been great.

www.theadventurebegins.tv
2011 Suzuki DR650
troyfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote