View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #81
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Let's talk suspension mods. Who's done them, what have you done, why, and what/where do you ride?

Me? Just picked up a 2006KLR650 with 10K miles. Don't know much about it yet. Looks pretty stock. I weigh 200# and will be riding street, gravel, FS roads, desert, single track, goat trails, etc with and without gear for camping out. Wherever I can manage to take it. Idaho is a DS rider's mecca and I have the need to make the most of it. Suspension mods on my '06KLX250 made a huge difference in off-road rideability. Is the KLR similar? It's not clear to me because so many don't seem to do much if anything.

What are your thoughts on fork springs? Flat rate or progressive? Are heavier springs even needed?
Emulators vs. Intiminators? I've hear rumor that progressive suspension is going to release a complete cartridge replacement system for the forks, but it's not listed on their site yet.

What about the rear? Who's done the 465?
I just installed the Progressive 465 rear shock a few weeks ago and what a difference in how nice the riding is now. I use to brace myself when I seen a bump or pothole coming but now I look for them just because it handles them so much better. I believe the KLR shock is set up for a 160 lb person. I have some Progressive front springs too and going to get some Intiminators in Oregon on my way to Mexico next month at Pro Cycle. http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/klr650.html . The intiminators are easy to install and never need to be adjusted, the Emulators are adjustable and need to be set up to your liking. So a little more work to install and set up I have been told.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote