View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #617
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,109
The ride of the Steves - Sutherlands Hutt & Ocean Beach Sun 27th Nov

Met Mark_S (KLR), Stormtrooper (KLR), Steve (F650GS) & Steve (EXC520 Motard) at Rimutex. Unfortunately we miss timed our exit - & consequently had to follow Mr. Policeman across the Rimutakas. Have to say he wasn’t hanging around. He caught & passed Stormtrooper, but not Mark.

Regrouped at Featherston, then headed towards Martinborough looking forward to a Latte. But Mark’s KLR decided the thrashing he gave it over the Rimutaka’s was too much, dumped it coolant over his right boot. Mark later limped home – it turned out the water pump impeller has shit the bed. Here Mark is looking relaxed as he waits for it to cool down. The bike panels are off on the right side

Caught the other guys at Tui’s (Toppy’s) where EXC Steve & Stormtrooper were chowing on down to a big brunch.

On the gravel rd on the way to the Aorangi Forest Park.

The mudhole between the track & the Carpark was almost dried out. Someone had created a new entrance to the left.

Dunno. Don't think full leathers works well as an ADV riding suit. Extra points for riding skill taking a Motard in there though...

The track itself had more mudpuddles & bogs than I remembered on the way to the first stream crossing, & all the stream crossings seemed rougher with a lot of the silt & sand washed away. The track wasn’t getting any wind at all & it was bloody hot going in.

Stormtrooper had issues with a non functioning radiator fan (2nd cooling issue for the KLRs) & I discovered that the rise from the new triples had caused the chokes to stay partially on (need longer cables). I resolved this by disconnecting the cable.

Sutherlands Hutt itself had an amazing number of blow flies – fortunately none landing.

Steve found the F650GS a handful, & dropped it a few times, including one when I rudely barged passed thru a bog (he was teetering on the edge).

Once we were out it was decided to head to Martinborough for more water (& the possibility of a coffee top up). Tui’s was closed & the group split with EXC Steve & Stormtrooper heading for home, & the 2 GS’s heading for Ocean Beach.

By this time the wind was coming up. Have to say that Stormtrooper & EXC Steve missed the best part of the day. That ride was superb IMHO. For your enjoyment, here are some snaps.

Good day guys. Home about 6.45pm

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-27-2011 at 12:01 PM Reason: Formatting
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote