View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #1904
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBEERHUNTER View Post

Howdy,
I have a 01 1150gs and was interested in your IICE AIR but then I see you are getting ready to produce a product called IICE COOL. What is the difference?

Does the IICE COOL product require the IICE AIR, or first product to work? Or are they two different products? I assume that they are both products to enrichen the fuel mixture? I was thinking that your second product may be an improved version of the first product.

Please explain what the intended usages are please. I don't want to miss out on the IICE AIR product if I need it but don't want to purchase it if your second IICE COOL product is a new and improved model..
Others have answered this above, thanks guys. Yes, the IICE Air and IICE Cool are two different things. And they work together.

If you are interested, here's a little more technical detail about what's going on inside the ECU. And what parts are affected by the IICE Air and IICE Cool

When you crack the throttle (aka: throttle tip-in) and accelerate at a constant rate, two unrelated things happen. Not at the same time, but one after the other. The IICE Cool modifies the ECU control of throttle tip-in, and the IICE Air modifies constant rate acceleration.

Fueling for motor acceleration is a one-two sequence. First, the rider advances the throttle, then second, the motor accelerates. They are two separate events, and the ECU controls them separately. An ECU controls the two events separately because the fueling requirements for 1. throttle tip-in, and 2. acceleration, are unrelated. The control algorithms to manage those events are also unrelated.

Throttle tip-in is a destabilizing event in the intake port, and requires a very complex control routine. Throttle tip-in and its opposite, throttle tip-out, upset the equilibrium of injected fuel vs. vaporizing fuel. In this case equilibrium means that the rate of injected fuel is equal to the fuel vaporization rate. A state of equilibrium is present in the intake port during steady speed and during constant acceleration. But when the throttle is moved, it upsets that equilibrium.

If you would like to read more about it, here is a relatively simple paper on the topic, Transient Fuel Control. If you take a look at figure 11, it sort of summarizes the operation. Any type of Transient Fuel control algorithm is designed to maintain a relatively constant fuel mixture during throttle transitions of tip-in and tip-out. Maintaining a constant fuel mixture during throttle transitions is a complex process based on the fuel vaporization rate, which is based on a host of dynamic variables such as Manifold Absolute Pressure and Intake Port Velocity, which are outlined in the paper.

Ok, so that was Transient Fueling in a nutshell. The control of fueling during Constant Acceleration is an altogether different thing. The control algorithm for that is simple by comparison. It's a simple air mass calculation based on air temperature and local barometric pressure. That's it. See, I told you it was simple.

The IICE Air has a simple job in modifying the ECU control of constant acceleration. The IICE Cool has a dynamic and variable task and requires a microcontroller.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 12:43 PM