View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #136
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 507
Bye Cube - I presume you mean the Ducati voltage regulator - if so they do seem to be very poor I have one on my bike that has functioned faultless to date and covered many miles - but my other a spare from John does not put out the right voltage (however this had been lent to my mate maybe he cooked it on his harness?) He had stated both his were faulty from new and he has now bought an alternative make of voltage regulator which has proved to be much more reliable. I do think if there is an ongoing problem with Ducati VR then this is an area that needs addressed.

installed an Enduralast on my R80RT ’83 on Feb 1, 2008. In the summer of 2009, I saw the odd volt spike to 18V, which lasted for a 30 sec span or so, then went away. I have an FAA-approved LED readout on my RT for voltage, so voltage is correct. After 30 secs it would pop back down to 14.2 or so, like flipping a switch. This happened infrequently enough I ignored it. Later in 2010, the occurrences happened more frequently and then one day it “stuck” at 18V, luckily when I was a block away from home. At that point I pulled my spare that I’d carried on the ’86 since 2005 (the G/S, by the way, never had an issue to date) and installed the spare. To my astonishment, the problem was still there. So I pulled the G/S cube from the bike and plugged it in the RT. Problem solved…. Weird. (so I probably rode around the world with a bad spare…)

I have the cubes wired with a similar harness on both bikes, and the spare proved bad on the G/S as well.

So I don’t know how unlucky one get to have a new installed spare be bad, as well as an operational one going bad too.

I exchanged a number of emails and phone calls with John, a process which cost me all credibility I’m afraid with him, as he refused to believe there was a “dual” failure and reasonably he assumed I was in the wrong.

However, he extended the ultimate service and shipped me a new cube, which when installed worked promptly.

I’m about to order a spare again, which I will install in the G/S, and take the “known good” cube as a spare on my next world trip, planning of which is putting a smile on my face these days.[/QUOTE]

adventure950 screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 09:30 AM
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote