View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #114
Robb Mc
what?

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by escuchamente View Post
I wonder what kind of fine that got him. In '07 I was stationed just in front of an overpass before the exit to the assistance area after stage 2. The Portuguese highway patrol had a fit when they found out there was no problem with my rental car and I was just parked on the side of the road. I had to reposition to on top of the overpass (a surface street/country road) and when Jonah came by he didn't see me holding my Pan Am shirt and pointing toward the exit (the big ole football stadium outside Portomao). Anyway, he lost about 15 minutes but it all worked out.
Lots of other riders/drivers ended up on the same overpass with me, taking the wrong exit. Some of the few locals who came to watch the racers pass had more fun with the navigation screw ups than with the folks who went the right way.
That stadium was a service area, not technically a bivouac, and the roadbook directions to it were shit. I remember it well, we were the first team at the stadium and thoroughly confused because nobody else was there. Thought for sure we had the wrong place and would miss everyone.
Robb Mc is offline   Reply With Quote