Some interesting rule changes for next season
* Before the safety car returns to the pits all lapped cars will be allowed to unlap themselves and then join the back of the pack, ensuring a clean re-start without slower cars impeding those racing for the leading positions.
Thank goodness. F1 felt like it was in the stone age with its refusal to allow this.
* There will now be a maximum race time of four hours to ensure that a lengthy suspension of a race does not result in a race that could run up to eight hours if left unregulated.
My DVR thanks them.
* Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.
This will be very
interesting to follow! Controversy assured.
* One three-day test will be carried out during the season, formerly there were none.
Joy in Teamville.
* Drivers may no longer leave the track without a justifiable reason, i.e. cutting a chicane on reconnaissance laps or 'in' laps to save time and fuel.
That strikes me as being a bit of housekeeping. We saw a few drivers (seem to remember Webber or Vettel cutting a chicane once) do this. Apparently there was no rule against it. Until now.
You know what's missing? Any change to qualifying. Specifically, there are no changes to the tire rules for qualifying. Pirelli had been pressing for relaxed rules because too many teams weren't even going out for Q3, in order to preserve a set of softer tires, thereby hurting the show. I guess they can still make another rules change prior to the start of the season?