View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Here are a few updates on the project. Sorry for the slow input. Too much work...

6. Radiator brace -

After the first day of riding I noticed that crashing the bike caused the radiator to be swept back. My search of radiator guards on the market did not yield any that had support to prevent the deflection of the radiator rearward. They may be out there, I just didn't find them. So I built one...

Here is what it look like...

It is made of aluminum. It consists of 3 major parts: a cross brace & 2 fore / aft braces tying into the frame. This forms a horizontal triangle that resists deflection of either radiator by bracing it with the frame.

The cross brace attaches to the frame at the lower radiator mount boss on the LH side. The LH side brace attaches to the frame at the exhaust pipe support lug. The RH side brace attaches to a "add on" lug that is attached to the frame near the V brace.

The horizontal cross brace has 2 "ears" that pick up the OEM radiator M6 holes.

The whole brace weighs less that 2 lbs. I haven't had enough crashes yet to test the brace & declare victory but I am sure that will come.

8. Bar risers -

I needed about 1.3 inches (~35 mm) to lift the bars to a height that was comfortable for stand up riding. I had some 1 in alum plate scraps that needed a home. Not long back I had build similar length spacers for my 990 Adv & replaced the 10 mm bolts with longer items. As luck would have it, the old 990 bolts were perfect for this application. The cross hole provides air cooling...

I set the bars in the forward hole of the triple clamp.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga

harcus screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 08:59 PM
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote