View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560

Evidently, sometimes the input shaft causes trouble on the M97. The drive gear can wear into the bearing it rides against, causing Bad Things. Since this is the first one I've ever taken apart, I can't tell from here if its worn or should be inspected. The bearings seem to feel like sealed bearings, not overly free rotating, not grindy.

Should I do the deed and pull the gear and bearing? Anyone got any knowledgeable insight?

What bugs me, is my BMW 1100 service manual, with a date of 2/2000 has a transmission section, that references the two early versions of the transmission, but it doesn't seem to give instructions and specs on the M97 version, and in particular, this shaft. Or is there just no difference to worry about with this version of the trans?

Can anyone help me out on this? I was going to attempt the measure the case and shafts, and see if things fall within specs- using the specs in the book- but not the BMW special measuring plate and procedure. I don't think that I need to replace any bearings inside (and all of them say GERMANY on them, so I'm hesitant to do so). I'm wondering if the box is shimmed loose, since as it heats up, third gear always seem to get worse.

Your advice is appreciated. However, at this point, I'm not ready to hear "Stuff it in a box and send it to Anton or Rubber Chicken". I'm in learning mode, and I'm not ready to say I ran out of talent (yet).
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote