View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graminal95 View Post
I took mine apart a few months ago to check/replace the rear bearing on the input shaft. It turned out that I had the newer updated gear, but it was still eating into the bearing race. I faced off the gear on the lathe and turned the bearing around. I also replaced the wavy washer with a solid one, which should help stop the bearing race/gear wear, but makes the trans noisy at idle in neutral. I checked all the bearing and they seemed fine, so I put it all back together and all is well.

I say pull off the rear bearing on the input shaft. Its a fast and easy job if you have a press. Check the wear, if its not bad turn the bearing around so the good side of the race now hits the gear and put it all back together. As long as the bearings do now have to much axial play you should be good to go.

Hmmm. I kinda like your idea Graminal. Its....so..... anti-anal BMW owner. You dare cut a gear that was machined by alpine bavarian elves? Turn a bearing around and reuse it?! (I've oftet thought that of a scalloped front Anakee tire, that still had good tread depth.)

I might do that even if I take that shaft apart and it looks perfectly good. Welp, looks like curiosity might just kill the transmission. That gear is coming off. I'll report back.

I wonder- does that wavy washer make up for a possible mis-tolerance in measuring for the shims? Wouldn't that shaft being spring-loaded in effect, push the gear into that bearing? And moreso, once the bearing starts to wear? Did they put that spring as a shock-absorber on the input shaft so they didn't have to build a clutch with springs in the disc?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote