View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #84
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
Evan, i just bought a LED brake light kit for my XR650R Dualsport. It is a dual output Ricky Stator. The LEDs work when I connect them to the DC regulator and ground it, but I do not think I can wire them to AC brake light, so they turn off with kill switch system. I drive at night and obviously the Baja Designs brake lamp needs backup .
Hey bud. Are you in SD? I can take a look if you'd like. LED's are intended to, and are happy being powered from a DC current source. You'll notice they have to be hooked up in the correct polarity orientation, as they won't light in one direction. Generally black to ground, and then one wire is brake light, and one wire is running light. You can usually power an LED light on a AC current source. The LED's will light when current polarity is correct to pass current through the diode (positive polarity), and they have a decay time. The time the current polarity is negative in an alternating current source is usually less than the decay time, so your LED's will usually stay lit and not be too noticeable. Like you said though, you can't light them without your engine running if you're driving them on an AC lighting output.
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote