View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #1280
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Motion Pro multi tool failure

A heads up for those out there using one of these:

Earlier in this thread I was advised that this was a decent product and quite a few people vouched for them being well made. Being a satisfied owner of a few bits of Motion Pro kit I was intrigued so bought one. Since Trail tools are generally only used when the shit hits the fan and broken bikes need to be mended, often times to get you back, they need to be reliable and trustworthy. Because of this I used it in the garage for a couple weeks to make sure it accessed everything well enough and worked without issues. I was pleased because it worked well enough that I could use this tool to replace my standard sliding T-handle w/sockets, allen wrenches, and 4 bit screwdriver. it saved a decent bit of bulk from my toolkit and seemed reliable so I was pleased as punch. I added to the kit the optional Allen key bit, 6&8mm sockets, and a 3 inch 1/4" drive extention, all fitted within the kits case. Very cool. Pleased enough to take it on an offroad tour with 10 clients through Lao. In the field there I used the scewdriver and all sockets on customers bikes without issue and happy as a pig in shit with my new found gadget.

Back to Thailand on a day ride w/a friend and needed to remove a 10mm bolt from a case guard during the ride. Whipped out the motion Pro tool and went to work...................uh oh. Here's a video back in the garage of what took place.

Well my first time embedding a video failed so here's just a link to the Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsOHR..._order&list=UL

The socket driver I believe is two pieces pressed together with some type of epoxy. Sadly the epoxy ain't working here resulting in the two pieces rotating and having no torque put into the fastener. Just a forewarning to others that may be relying on this piece in their kit like me.

Since I'm overseas in Thailand i shall wait until I'm back in the states in a couple months and contact Motion Pro. Never heard of anyone else having an issue but just wanted to share my experience so others may evaluate whether they want to rely on the tool. I have full confidence they shall take care of the situation as all my prior experience with the Motion Pro staff and products have been stellar.

I've put my old reliable tools back into the toolkit.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 02:54 AM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote